VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Post by MentholMoose »

fliptopbox wrote:I just realized that I'll have to buy an Xbox if I want to play this. Ugh.

How much will I need to spend total to get this all up and running? $400?
Hey where have you been?! To buy everything new, the bare minimum for hardware would be about $240 (Xbox 360 Arcade is $200, 512MB memory card is $40... both from Amazon.com ;) ). If your TV uses HDMI then buy a $5 HDMI cable somewhere.
Last edited by MentholMoose on 27 Apr 2009, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

fliptopbox wrote:I just realized that I'll have to buy an Xbox if I want to play this. Ugh.

You could, or you could do what i did...

Used xbox 360 - $180

20 gig HDD - $40 off ebay

1600 MS point Card - $20

Xbox live silver membership - Free

Xbox live Gold membership - varies (i don't have one yet)

so about $220 give or take for the bare minimum...

Even a new Arcade unit adds another $20, which brings it up to $240.

Also, a 512 MB mem card is $50...which is lame. (didn't read the amazon.com part, that price is from everywhere else just about, retail)
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:

Hey where have you been?! To buy everything new, the bare minimum would be about $240 (Xbox 360 Arcade is $200, 512MB memory card is $40... both from Amazon.com ;) ). If your TV uses HDMI then buy a $5 HDMI cable somewhere.
Ummm Menthol...you're short about $15 for the most important part. ;)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Man you guys are fast. I was going to update my post with more info, but you beat me. :lol:

The memory card is indeed ridiculous. Don't buy it.

A Gold subscription is required for online play, which is the main reason for buying this game. The Xbox Live Starter Pack includes a 3-month Gold subscription and a 60GB hard drive... Amazon had it for $80 for a while, but the price went up, but maybe you can find it elsewhere at that price. A 3-month Gold subscription on Amazon is $20, 12-month is $50.

So for everything new and it will be something like:
Xbox 360 arcade - $200
60GB starter pack - $80 (includes 3-month Gold subscription)
1600 points card - $20
Cable for HDTV - $5 for HDMI, $30 for OEM VGA or Component ($10 for non-OEM)

Or:
Xbox 360 pro - $300 (includes HDD and Component cable)
1600 points card - $20
Gold subscription - $20 / 3-month, $50 / 12-month

Also don't forget Twin Sticks. I don't think fliptopbox will be satisfied with a controller. Assuming you still have some Twin Sticks, the DIY option is basically the cost of a donor Xbox 360 controller. To hire someone to do it will probably be $75 or so (I haven't found anyone to do it... yet... everyone is busy with mods for SF4 controllers).
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Here is a link for a 13 month card for $40.

http://www.gp2xstore.com/xbox-360-live- ... month.html

Menthol, you better post up ur impressions with the Twin Stick mod ASAP on Wednesday, my friend! The sooner I know, the sooner I can get modding!! :mrgreen:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:Here is a link for a 13 month card for $40.

http://www.gp2xstore.com/xbox-360-live- ... month.html
Thanks! I'll buy that when my 3-month subscription is almost over.
Knoxximus wrote:Menthol, you better post up ur impressions with the Twin Stick mod ASAP on Wednesday, my friend! The sooner I know, the sooner I can get modding!! :mrgreen:
Will do!
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

Don't forget you get a one month free Gold when you sign up with a new Gamertag anyway, so it's not imperative that you buy a Live subscription now.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/v/virtu ... efault.htm

Release date updated, now says "4/29" rather than TBD.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

velocity7 wrote:http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/v/virtu ... efault.htm

Release date updated, now says "4/29" rather than TBD.
EXCELLENT!!! :D
MentholMoose
LordOfMeep

Post by LordOfMeep »

It's also confirmed on Major Nelson, XBOX Live's official blog.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Dreamcazman wrote:Don't forget you get a one month free Gold when you sign up with a new Gamertag anyway, so it's not imperative that you buy a Live subscription now.
I think this is false, as I didn't get a month of free gold with mine....lame.

velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
Dreamcazman wrote:Don't forget you get a one month free Gold when you sign up with a new Gamertag anyway, so it's not imperative that you buy a Live subscription now.
This is actually true, I can vouch for it. All new 360s come with a free month of Gold membership for three XBL accounts created on the said console.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

oh, it's based on the unit itself, that explains it...

got mine used so...yeah ^^:;;

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The official Xbox 360 Virtual-On: OT site was updated with a lot of new information. All of the previously missing sections have been added. On the column there is mention of Twin Sticks, but I cannot understand it... it looks like he is apologizing for not having any new info.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

There is a ton of new info to go through. On the system page, the first paragraph explaining the controls confirms that you can customize the key assignments!!! This was actually already confirmed in a previous column, but there were some reports that this wouldn't be included, so it's nice to have additional confirmation.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:There is a ton of new info to go through. On the system page, the first paragraph explaining the controls confirms that you can customize the key assignments!!! This was actually already confirmed in a previous column, but there were some reports that this wouldn't be included, so it's nice to have additional confirmation.
Right, but does that include the L/R stick "clicks"?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:There is a ton of new info to go through. On the system page, the first paragraph explaining the controls confirms that you can customize the key assignments!!! This was actually already confirmed in a previous column, but there were some reports that this wouldn't be included, so it's nice to have additional confirmation.
I think so, since on the screenshots showing the controller config, those buttons are included, but they have no functionality under the default control schemes. To me it doesn't make much sense to have those unused buttons on the configuration if it was not possible to use them.

EDIT: For reference, here's the screenshot I'm referring to:
http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg18 ... nt=VO1.jpg
MentholMoose
DarK-SuN

Post by DarK-SuN »

I'm pretty sure those buttons can be assigned to a function if you customize the control scheme, they just happen to have no set function in the default setups.
GamerTag: Ichimoto
VOOM: Apharmd and Raiden VR Pilot
VOOT: Apharmd B, Apharmd C and Raiden VR Pilot
MARZ: Apharmd J, APJ AC, Apharmd HATTER and Raiden VR Pilot
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

velocity7 wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:
This is actually true, I can vouch for it. All new 360s come with a free month of Gold membership for three XBL accounts created on the said console.
Just to go back a little bit in the discussion. I discovered they went a weird way about implementing the free month of live subscription. When you create a gamertag it will ask you to sign up for a gold account. If you say no they will give you a free month. If you say yes you buy however much you want but you dont get your free month. I bought a card and straight away used it and was suprised when i didnt get my free month. But basically if you've bought a card, when you create your gamertag just say 'you don't want to sign for a gold account' and then they will give you a free month worth of gold account. And when you have your free month, then you can use you card to purchase another 12 months. I hope that made sense, but yeah i was bummed out when i just used my card straight away and didn't get my free month.
Knoxximus wrote:
I hope it's ok to post this question about modding here but since we're on the topic. I've been working on making my twin stick and im a lil dissapointed im not finished yet. But it's no biggie, i'll get used to the controller :P But my plan is to wire up my buttons to the clicks but i wasn't sure how to go about it since those two big boxes that hold the thumbsticks are there. Does anyone know if i have to remove these box things to wire buttons to the L/R clicks? or can i just solder the wire to the back of the pcb?
Thanks for any help on this one.
Last edited by Henshin1 on 28 Apr 2009, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

I still didn't get a free month...though i don't remember being asked to subscribe for gold either so.....

Umm...yeah...the service was acting a tiny bit wonky that day so....