VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
VR-Eli

Re: VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Post by VR-Eli »

New column post today

From what I gleaned from the horrid Google Translator, they talk up Border Break and mention an article in Gamerga with an interview with Dr. Watari (hehe).

But the most interesting is that there is going to be an Inside Xbox video up on Monday April 6th about the 5.66 release. :D
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

In the new column, regarding the Twin-Sticks

Google Translated
"For the progress report on the twin-stick, I'm sorry, ask for patience."

Excite Translated
"It is possible to wait for a while I am sorry for the progress report concerning be a twin stick and to get it."

The Devs still stringing us along. At least there's still a slight maybe at this point.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Awesome, awesome. The next few weeks are going to be effing great. So much stuff going on. :)
"Nuh uh uh"
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

This is good stuff, the end of the tunnel is near!
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

VR-Eli wrote:New column post today

From what I gleaned from the horrid Google Translator, they talk up Border Break and mention an article in Gamerga with an interview with Dr. Watari (hehe).

But the most interesting is that there is going to be an Inside Xbox video up on Monday April 6th about the 5.66 release. :D
And I still don't have a HD yet...grr...

Any word on a release date being mentioned? For the game i mean...
Long Shadow wrote:In the new column, regarding the Twin-Sticks

Google Translated
"For the progress report on the twin-stick, I'm sorry, ask for patience."

Excite Translated
"It is possible to wait for a while I am sorry for the progress report concerning be a twin stick and to get it."
I see this as being a good thing, it's at least being seriously considered. I personally foresee good news coming out of this. Usually when a company strings you along like this, it means something good...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Long Shadow

Re: Articles covering VOOT VER.5.66 for Xbox 360

Post by Long Shadow »

Okay, a new Column update has appeared on the official site, this time regarding the Twin-Sticks.

Translations seem to indicate they are still trying to work out the price and release date to see if its worth releasing. I can't tell if there is a positive or negative vibe about it's potential release.
I'd love to see a proper translation though.

Link;
http://vo-ot360.sega.jp/column.html

Google translated;
http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... =Shift_JIS

Excite translated;
http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/englis ... %7C+%96%F3+

On a side note, The official site's Column section has been updated every Tuesday for the past 5 week with updates about the game. So chances are that it'll be updated next Tuesday too. Friday's update was just to give us a heads up about the Inside Xbox Video and that magazine article, and wasn't a direct update about the game.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

If you are like me and are buying an Xbox 360 for this game, you probably also need a hard drive. The "Xbox 360 60GB LIVE Starter Pack" is $79.96 with free shipping at Amazon.com:
Xbox 360 60GB LIVE Starter Pack.

Thanks to velocity7 who shared this info on IRC. If anyone sees a deal for an Xbox 360, let me know!!
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:If you are like me and are buying an Xbox 360 for this game, you probably also need a hard drive. The "Xbox 360 60GB LIVE Starter Pack" is $79.96 with free shipping at Amazon.com:
Xbox 360 60GB LIVE Starter Pack.

Thanks to velocity7 who shared this info on IRC. If anyone sees a deal for an Xbox 360, let me know!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/MICROSOFT-XBOX-360- ... 7C294%3A50

I was planning on getting one of these myself...

I'd say get a new "Arcade" unit if you can, since the "jasper" chipsets seem to not have failed yet. Alternatively, you could get a broken one uber cheap off ebay, and find someone who can fix it local to you for a "reasonable" price. (reasonable being no more than about $40-50) Though to be fair I would not recommend this route unless you are "that" strapped for cash and/or like playing russian roulette with your money.

I got mine used from gamestop, ended up with an older model (premium?), but I have an hdmi port on it so i'm still good. (note: don't actually have a tv that can support it ^^;;;) I only saved about $20 or so, but I know me a person (just a couple stores from the gamestop I got it from, in a mall) who can fix it for $40 and 3 days time (stress testing), so should the worst happen, i'm good.

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Yeah I am planning on a new "Jasper" Xbox 360 Arcade, but of course I want to save some cash so I'm waiting to see if a deal appears sometime before VOOT is available.
MentholMoose
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

It may be worth your while to quest out a Japanese 360 Arcade. If VOOT is the main reason people are getting it here on the forums it may be worth it doing it that way.

Some of the Newer games like Street Fighter 4 are region free as well, so that might not play a huge role in things. I play alot of 2D shooters, so the games like Raiden Fighters Aces and DoDonPachi DaiOhJoh Death Label EX are on JPN 360.

As far as the breaking down situation, its apprently not a problem, as a friend sent his off (JPN system in the states) and wasn't given a problem returning it for a new system.

Just a thought for everyone who is sitting on the fence for this one.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

NGEFreek wrote:It may be worth your while to quest out a Japanese 360 Arcade. If VOOT is the main reason people are getting it here on the forums it may be worth it doing it that way.

Some of the Newer games like Street Fighter 4 are region free as well, so that might not play a huge role in things. I play alot of 2D shooters, so the games like Raiden Fighters Aces and DoDonPachi DaiOhJoh Death Label EX are on JPN 360.

As far as the breaking down situation, its apprently not a problem, as a friend sent his off (JPN system in the states) and wasn't given a problem returning it for a new system.

however, also factor in the much higher shipping costs, add the fact that vo is coming out to american xbl arcade anyway (according to a previously linked article, it has to the same day as the japanese release) So region isn't a problem. To my knowledge most/some games are worldwide anyway, so we'll probably run into more than a few japanese vo players. (and ownage shall probably commence).

May I also recommend that once it's out, and we all have our gold memberships and such sorted and whatnot, we, like, formally organize tournaments amongst ourselves?

Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Since methol mentioned about hardrives, a question: if 360 hdd fails, ur user account from online still holds record of ur XBL purchases . Which means u can should be able to redownload VOOT free of charge?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

NGEFreek wrote:It may be worth your while to quest out a Japanese 360 Arcade. If VOOT is the main reason people are getting it here on the forums it may be worth it doing it that way.

That's something I considered but haven't decided on. Typically the console games I like tend to be released only in Japan, or at least in Japan first, so I always have bought Japanese consoles if a mod wasn't possible (I had a modded US PlayStation, modded Japanese Gamecube, Japanese DC and PS2, and a US Xbox which I barely used). Are the Xbox Live accounts universal? I already ordered the starter kit, can I use the included Live subscription with a Japanese Xbox 360?
Testament/Seven7 wrote:May I also recommend that once it's out, and we all have our gold memberships and such sorted and whatnot, we, like, formally organize tournaments amongst ourselves?
As long as the online mode works well, I will definitely organize tournaments through this site.
Davo87 wrote:Since methol mentioned about hardrives, a question: if 360 hdd fails, ur user account from online still holds record of ur XBL purchases . Which means u can should be able to redownload VOOT free of charge?
I found this link which says yes. Does anyone have any input?
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Yes, LIVE accounts are universal, as in, you can use it on any region machine. I used mine plenty of time on my friends Japanese and US 360s.

As for when you buy things of LIVE (like the up and coming VOOT), it's linked to your GamerTag and you can download it as much as you want, and play them on any 360. The games also binds to the first machine you bought it on.

Now with this, when you play the game on another 360 (that you didn't buy it on), you need to be connected to LIVE for it to authenticate it, otherwise it'll default to being the trial mode.
When you play it on the original 360 (that it was bought on), it doesn't have to be connected to LIVE to be able to play the full version. Also, any other GamerTag on that machine can play the full version also.

Now, if your HDD/360 ever dies, there is an official tool that can shift the DRM from the old machine to the new machine, so It'll act like it was on the machine you first bought it on. Though with this tool, once you shift the DRM, you can't do another shift for another year. I think this is to stop people from abusing it. If I remember correctly, if you were ever to need to do it before another year, you should be able to contact MS to sort it out for you.

My friend bought a few games on my 360, and I can play them for free without his GT. I can't say I've had any problems with the way MS's DRM is handled.

Any other questions? I hope I've made myself clear.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

*high fives* Space shooters for the win. Sorry if this is totally off-topic, but I don't know too many people that play these games. You like Gradius and R-Type as well, i'm guessing? How about the Star Soldier series? Super Star Soldier is one of my all time faves. Oh man...rocks hardcore. Still need to beat it. lol
"Nuh uh uh"
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

once you play touhou, every shooter you used to play is childs play.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

circuscommando wrote:once you play touhou, every shooter you used to play is childs play.
Is that so? XD! Reminds me of a cross between Ikaruga and...Geometry Wars. LOL
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

RVR - 42 wrote:
circuscommando wrote:once you play touhou, every shooter you used to play is childs play.
Is that so? XD! Reminds me of a cross between Ikaruga and...Geometry Wars. LOL
I haven't played either. I like shooters, too, but I haven't been playing much recently. :(
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Hey Menthol...check your PM's. ;)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Ikaruga is fun, but hard.

Haven't played Geo wars yet.