VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Post by MentholMoose »

somepunk wrote:haha, hey everyone, I'm gone for a week, and the forum doubles in topics, and MM started making sticks!
Guess I'm gonna have to be on here everyday for now on :)
Yes, hang out with us and don't miss the latest news! Right now we're waiting for new information about official Xbox 360 Twin Sticks. I got excited today because the official site was updated, but it appears to be just some info about new plastic VO models, and nothing about Twin Sticks. :(
somepunk wrote:So, do we have a solid concrete date yet for VOOT XBLA?
Still just "Spring 2009".
somepunk wrote:You know, the thing I've had the hardest time trying to locate are link cables, I never see them on an sites, I've needed a pair for years, I have a dual setup ready and everything!
I searched Yahoo! Japan Auctions and didn't find even one. I do know there are third party cables (search for "Dragoncast Versus cable"). However, it's possible to build a custom versus cable. IIRC, Scott Robinson used two serial "coders" cables to build one. Try searching around for info on this.

I found this recent article which provides good info on the cable: Dreamcast Vs Link Cable.

EDIT: I found this site which may have the Versus cable. I'm not sure how legitimate the site is, though.
MentholMoose
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

Scott gave me the info awhile ago, I just haven't gotten around to it, I was gonna try to find the real deal first, since I didn't understand half of what to do lol.
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

somepunk wrote:Scott gave me the info awhile ago, I just haven't gotten around to it, I was gonna try to find the real deal first, since I didn't understand half of what to do lol.
Do you have the instructions, or a link?

Your best bet is the aforementioned "dragoncast" version. I don't see any on eBay right now, but you could set up some alerts just in case. Also search around, maybe you can find a store that possibly has it, like this one (disclaimer: I have no idea if that store is real). Let us know if you find a source since other people might be interested.

The Sega-brand cable will be difficult to find. Even when it was originally released, it was rare (I didn't buy one at launch, and I had a heck of a time finding one... actually I only have one because a nice coworker at Activision hooked me up).
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

MentholMoose wrote:
somepunk wrote:Scott gave me the info awhile ago, I just haven't gotten around to it, I was gonna try to find the real deal first, since I didn't understand half of what to do lol.
Do you have the instructions, or a link?

Your best bet is the aforementioned "dragoncast" version. I don't see any on eBay right now, but you could set up some alerts just in case. Also search around, maybe you can find a store that possibly has it, like this one (disclaimer: I have no idea if that store is real). Let us know if you find a source since other people might be interested.

The Sega-brand cable will be difficult to find. Even when it was originally released, it was rare (I didn't buy one at launch, and I had a heck of a time finding one... actually I only have one because a nice coworker at Activision hooked me up).
Ha! =P Man 1$5.00!? I hope that site is real. Hahah! But seriously I need to get on this...like i'm ordering one this weekend. The longer I wait the harder they'll be to find.
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

RVR - 42 wrote:Ha! =P Man 1$5.00!? I hope that site is real. Hahah! But seriously I need to get on this...like i'm ordering one this weekend. The longer I wait the harder they'll be to find.
Just be careful, maybe call them to see if they have it and sound like a legitimate company. Let us know how it goes!
Last edited by MentholMoose on 24 Mar 2009, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Post by NGEFreek »

I found an official DC linker at GameCrazy about 7 years back for $5. I almost shat my pants when I realized what it was. I know I packed it up and brought it with me when I moved out here, but I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding it, and its worrying me since I wanted to plug my DC's in and play with my brother the other day and couldn't find it. I still have hope!
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

GameCrazy 7 years ago, huh? I saw some DC stuff at a Gamecrazy not too long ago...didn't even think of a link cable. How dumb of me! And that site...I never even tried. Was so busy over the weekend. Same goes for this weekend too, though. =/ I gotta get one.
"Nuh uh uh"
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

Found it unloading a few boxes today, total cost was $2.99 minus 25% with the GC card thingy. I think I did alright.

Another possible idea - Get 2 NGPC to DC link cables and just cut the NGPC wires off and splice the DC ones together?
Turbovec

Post by Turbovec »

I actually managed to snag one off coinopexpress, and it's the official sega linkcable.

http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/p ... _3115.html

COE typically sends stuff in bulk, but they'll be willing to send you a single unit, the shipping will just be a little on the pricey side. The hilarious thing is that they're all still in the actual packaging. Just email the owner, he was a pleasure to work with. But seeing as the Dragoncast cable thing seems to work, it might not really be worth it.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

Someone remind me why we're even discussing link cables for the Dreamcast when we've got **** VOOT with **** netplay coming to the 360?

Seriously, this is my wet dream and y'all are ruining it.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

evenpar123 wrote:Someone remind me why we're even discussing link cables for the Dreamcast when we've got **** VOOT with **** netplay coming to the 360?

Well then get posting stuff you want to talk about. :)
MentholMoose
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

Because its fun to be nostolgic?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

I'd like to know who here has Xbox Live and, if so, what your Gamertag is.

I'll start: Schooly D
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

evenpar123 wrote:I'd like to know who here has Xbox Live and, if so, what your Gamertag is.

I'll start: Schooly D
I don't have one yet. :(
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

evenpar123 wrote:Someone remind me why we're even discussing link cables for the Dreamcast when we've got **** VOOT with **** netplay coming to the 360?

Hahha! Sorry for waking you up ni the middle of that dream of yours. :P But the only reason i'm talking about link cables and crapo is because I don't have a 360...and most likely never will. I've got friends who have one though...they're not really into VO though. So you see...i'm just working with what i've got man.

And Davo...I emailed them about those DC link cables. My gosh I hope it works. XD!
"Nuh uh uh"
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

ah it wasnt me who mentioned the DC link cables. My DC's power is broken as the power turns on randomly.

With 360, all u need is a network cable if u want offline play. :D
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Hahaha nope. It was I and somepunk. =P But you've got a 360, Davo? Lucky, lucky!
"Nuh uh uh"
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

ImageImage
Column got updated. Translation:
Q: How big will the game be?
A: It hasn't been fully decided yet, but probably somewhere around 230 MB.

Q: Is there any split-screen?
A: We apologize, but not this time. Instead, we have the system link implemented so you can go at it against one another (this was really tough to do). Again, we apologize...

Q: Will there be any patches to the game?
A: Nothing has been announced yet at this time. However, we are prepared to deal with any trouble that might come after release. In such a case, we will announce that "Bugs/glitches have been corrected". Given time, we'd like to put up other content.

Q: Will any themes or icons go on sale?
A: We are considering possible themes to put up. As for icons, we will consider it if there is a massive demand for it.

Q: Is there any text chat, or ability to draw emblems?
A: Neither. We would have liked to see custom emblems implemented, but there were a lot of issues that came up. We also hadn't considered text chat when we began this project. In the meantime, the Xbox 360 voice chat feature has been implemented, so please enjoy.

Q: Is the floor transparent in "Public Port" just like in 5.2?
A: As we thought it was much better having it transparent, we made it as such. Of course, you have some options:
- In Arcade mode, the floor will be set as opaque.
- In Versus mode, the floor will be randomly set.
- You may choose the way it looks in Training Mode and Watch Mode.

Q: Did you fix the fire grenade sound?
A: We confirm that we've fixed this in the 360 version.

Q: Can we see this on a 4:3 CRT? How small of a TV can we play on for us to enjoy this?
A: In the case of 4:3, this will look just like the Arcade or DC versions. There shouldn't be a difference in gameplay. To check teams, the minimum requirement is a 14-inch CRT, but for the time being you should be able to enjoy the game. There are probably a couple of locations where the text may be small, but there shouldn't be things that you can't read. Of course, be advised that depending on the television you use, there is no absolute guarantee.

Q: What about Twin Sticks?
A: We've heard a lot about this from almost everyone, so we think it'll show up. If we were the users, we would have asked too (lol).

Unfortunately, we are unable to announce anything beyond what was said for Twin Sticks in Yamashita's column last time. We apologize.

The game should be out in April, but we will announce if any changes arise.
Q.容量ってどれくらい?
A. 具体的な数字はまだ未確定な部分があるのですが、おそらく230MB程度になると思います。

Q.画面分割対戦はないの?
A. ごめんなさい。今回はありません。
その代わりといってはなんですが、システムリンクによる対戦はなんとか実装できましたので(これ、本当にギリギリの実装でした)ご勘弁を…。

Q.タイトルアップデートはあるの?
A. 今のところ、発表できるようなものはありません。ただ、リリース後に不具合などがあった場合は、迅速に対応しなければなりませんので準備はしています。
もしそうなった場合は「バグ直しました」だけでは申し訳ないので、時間の許す限り、色々とネタを考えていきたいと思ってます。

Q.テーマやアイコン販売はあるの?
A. テーマは、色々と検証しつつ前向きに検討している感じです。
アイコンは、最近はアバターを使ったアイコンが主流なので需要があれば…という感じです。

Q.エンブレム作成とテキストチャットはあるの?
A. どちらもありません。
エンブレム作成については、本当はやりたかったんですが諸々の事情で見送りました。
テキストチャットは当初から予定にありませんでした。
Xbox 360はボイスチャットが標準機能ですので、ぜひボイスチャットで楽しんでいただければと思います。

Q.「パブリックポート」の床って、5.2の頃の透明に戻した?
A. 5.2の頃の透明な床がかっこよかったので、復活させています。
もちろん、床有りバージョンも収録しています。
# アーケードモードでは、完全移植なので「床有り」です。
# 対戦では「床有り」「床無し」両方とも出てきます。(ランダムで出現)
# TRAININGモードやWATCHモードでのステージ選択では両方選べます。
という仕様になってます。

Q.ファイアグレネード(の爆音)は直っているか?
A. 360版では発生しないことを確認しています。

Q.4:3のブラウン管だとどう見えますか?どれくらい小さいテレビまで遊べますか?
A. 4:3の場合アーケード版やDC版と同じように映ります。プレイ感にも違いはありません。
チームでのチェック環境で一番小さいのは14インチのブラウン管ですが、問題なく普通に遊べてます。
場所によっては文字が少し小さいかな?という箇所もありますが、読めないということはなかったです。
ただこれはテレビによっても変わってくるので、必ず保証というものはありません。ご了承ください。

Q.ツインスティックの件
A. 質問してくれた方々、ほぼ全員に聞かれたそうです。当然そうなると思います。
自分がユーザーだったら間違いなく聞きますし(笑)

これに関しては、前々回のコラムで山下が書いている以上のことは今のところ発表できることがありません。すみません。

4月になってしまうと思いますが、また何らかの形で経過報告をさせていただければと思います。
Last edited by velocity7 on 25 Mar 2009, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Thanks for the translation dude!

Didnt expect them to remove split screen 2p play, tho surely I found the splitscreen to look pretty bad anyway.
Q: Is there any text chat, or ability to draw emblems?
A: Neither. We would have liked to see custom emblems implemented, but there were a lot of issues that came up. We also hadn't considered text chat when we began this project. In the meantime, the Xbox 360 voice chat feature has been implemented, so please enjoy.
I still wonder how do ppl manage to type while holding onto the twinsticks, let alone while fighting on pad. Getting voice chat makes more sense these days.
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

Thanks Velocity!